In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bourton like this:
BOURTON, a chapelry in Gillingham parish, Dorset; on the verge of the county, 2½ miles SW of Mere, and 3 NNW of Gillingham r. station. It has a post office under Bath. Acres, 828. Real property, with Silton, £5,415. Pop., 921. Houses, 210. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £90. Patrons, Trustees. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bourton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bourton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bourton in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bourton".