Place:


Penselwood  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penselwood like this:

PENSELWOOD, a parish, with a village, in Wincanton district, Somerset; adjacent to Dorset and Wilts, 3½ miles N E by E of Wincanton r. station. Post-town, Wincanton. Acres, 1, 101. Real property, with Brook, £3, 372. Rated property of P. alone, £1, 497. Pop., 442. Houses, 107. ...


The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ilchester and Sir H. A. Hoare, Bart. Forest Lodge is a chief residence. A barrow and the site of a very ancient church are at Ballands. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £180.* Patrons, the Earl of Ilchester and Sir H. A. Hoare, Bart. The church is later English; was restored in 1849; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, withporch and tower; and contains an old font, a piscina, and several monuments. There are a Primitive Methodistchapel and a national school.

Penselwood through time

Penselwood is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Penselwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penselwood in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13141

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Penselwood ".