In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Silton like this:
SILTON, a parish, with a village, in the district of Mere and county of Dorset; on the river Stour, 3 miles NW of Gillingham r. station, and 5 W by N of Wincanton. Post town, Wincanton, under Bath. Acres, 1,257. Rated property, £2,009. Pop., 306. Houses, 72. The manor belongs to Miss Chafyn Grove. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £379.* Patron, the Rev. W. J. E. Percy. The church good.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Silton in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Silton ".