Place:


Great Harwood  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Harwood like this:

HARWOOD (GREAT), a town, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district in Blackburn parish and district, Lancashire. The town stands near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 1½ mile SW of the river Calder, 2¼ SE of Ribchester r. station, and 4½ NE of Blackburn; is a rising place, well built of native stone; nearly doubled its population in the ten years prior to 1865; is governed by a local board of health; and has a post office‡ under Accrington, a news-room, cotton mills, a national school, a church, and chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics. ...


The church is ancient, and has a west tower. The Roman Catholic chapel is a handsome edifice of 1860. Pop., in 1861, 3, 294. Houses, 637.—The chapelry comprises 2, 510 acres. Real property, £9, 521; of which £75 are in gasworks, and £85 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2, 548; in 1861, 4, 070. Houses, 782. The manor belongs to James Lomax, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200. * Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn.—The sub-district contains also two other townships of Blackburn parish, and one of Whalley. Acres, 6, 950. Pop., 10, 220. Houses, 1, 952.

Great Harwood through time

Great Harwood is now part of Hyndburn district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hyndburn has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Harwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Harwood, in Hyndburn and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1047

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Harwood ".