Place:


Billington  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Billington like this:

BILLINGTON-LANGHO, a township-chapelry in Blackburn parish, Lancashire; on the Blackburn and Clitheroe railway, 5½ miles NNE of Blackburn. It has a station, of the name of Langho, on the railway; and its Post Town is Whalley, under Blackburn. Acres, 2,960. Real property, £4,719. Pop., 1,038. Houses, 205. The inhabitants are chiefly cotton-weavers. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £120. Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church is ancient. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities £38.

Billington through time

Billington is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Billington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Billington, in Ribble Valley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9978

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Billington ".