Place:


Reedham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Reedham like this:

REEDHAM, a village and a parish in Blofield district, Norfolk. The village stands adjacent to the Norwich and Yarmouth railway, at the junction of the branch to Lowestoft, near the river Yare, 8¼ miles S E by E of Yarmouth; and has a station with telegraph at the railway junction, and a post-office under Norwich. ...


The parish includes a detached tract of marsh, and comprises 3, 328acres. Real property, £6,022; of which £50 are inquarries. Pop., 836. Houses, 174. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to H. M. Leathes, Esq. A seat of the kings of East Anglia was here; and Lodbroc, or Lothbroch, the Dane, landed here in a storm. There are mills, lime-kilns, a foundry, a brick-field, and a ferry over the Yare. Foundations of a Roman pharo were discovered on a low cliff. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Freethorpe, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £607.* Patron, H. M. Leathes, Esq. The church is ancient but good. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school.

Reedham through time

Reedham is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Reedham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Reedham, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5136

Date accessed: 30th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Reedham".