Place:


Barton Stacey  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barton Stacey like this:

BARTON-STACEY, a tything, a parish, and a hundred in Hants. The tything lies on a headstream of the Anton river, and on the line of the Roman road to Winchester, 4 ½. miles E of the Andover railway, and 5½ SE of Andover; and has a post office under Winchester, and a fair on 31 July. ...


The parish includes also the townships of Bransbury, Drayton, and Newton-Stacey. Acres, 4,943. Real property, £5,923. Pop., 516. Houses, 108. The property is divided among a few. A strong ancient entrenchment occurs at Bransbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £266.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is early English and cruciform; and has a fine perpendicular tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £44. The hundred is conterminate with the parish.

Barton Stacey through time

Barton Stacey is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barton Stacey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barton Stacey, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3531

Date accessed: 16th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barton Stacey ".