Place:


Chilbolton  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chilbolton like this:

CHILBOLTON, a parish in Andover district, Hants; on the river Anton, near the andover railway, 4 miles SSE of Andover. It has a post office under Winchester. Acres, 3, 100. Real property, £, 166. Pop., 398. Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged at Domesday to the Bishop of Winchester. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £430.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is early English, well restored; and has a modern tower. Charities, £25. Sir William Jones, the Oriental traveller, was for some time a resident.

Chilbolton through time

Chilbolton is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chilbolton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chilbolton, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5552

Date accessed: 13th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chilbolton".