Place:


Crawley  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crawley like this:

CRAWLEY, a parish in Winchester district, Hants; 4 miles E of Stockbridge r. station, and 5½ NW of Winchester. It includes Hunton chapelry; and has a post office under Winchester. Acres, 4, 581. Real property, £4, 411. Pop., 502. Houses, 100. The property is divided among a few. Crawley House, belonging to the Brights, is a dilapidated mansion. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Hunton, in the diocese Winchester. Value, £690.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is early English, with a square tower.

Crawley through time

Crawley is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crawley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crawley, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5700

Date accessed: 18th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Crawley".