Place:


Carlton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carlton like this:

CARLTON, a township and a subdistrict in Basford district, Notts. The township is in Gedling parish; lies on the Nottingham and Lincoln railway, adjacent to the river Trent, 3 miles ENE of Nottingham; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Nottingham. Real property, £5,733. Pop., 2,559. Houses, 564. Many of the inhabitants are lace and stocking makers. There are a chapel of ease, and chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Free Methodists.-The subdistrict contains three parishes, and great part of another. Acres, 8,435. Pop., 4,328. Houses, 939.

Carlton through time

Carlton is now part of Gedling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gedling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carlton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carlton, in Gedling and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/216

Date accessed: 12th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carlton ".