Place:


Lowdham  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lowdham like this:

LOWDHAM, a village, a township, and a parish in Southwell district, Notts. The village stands on an affluent of the river Trent, adjacent to the Nottingham and Lincoln railway, 5½ miles SSW of Southwell; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Nottingham.-The township includes the village and extends into the country. ...


Real property, £4,042. Polp., 868. Houses, 184.—The parish contains also the tow nships of Caythorpe and Gunthorpe. Acres, 3,010. Real property, £7,840. Pop. in 1851,1,596; in 1861,1,503. Houses, 327. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to P. S. Broughton, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £276.* Patron, Earl Manvers. The church is old, was recently restored, and has a tower and small spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £4.

Lowdham through time

Lowdham is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lowdham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lowdham, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7546

Date accessed: 13th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lowdham ".