Place:


Stainton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stainton like this:

STAINTON, a township in Stockton district, and a parish partly also in Stokesley district, and all in N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 4½ miles ENE of Yarm r. station, and has a post-office under Stockton. Acres, 2,820; of which 578 are water. Real property, £2,759. Pop., 357. Houses, 81. ...


The parish includes four other townships, and comprises 7,744 acres. Pop. in 1851, 2,485; in 1861, 3,858. Houses, 757. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £323.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient but good. The p. curacy of Thornaby is a separate benefice. There are a national school and some charities.

Stainton through time

Stainton is now part of Middlesbrough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Middlesbrough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stainton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stainton, in Middlesbrough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14269

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stainton ".