Place:


Hilton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hilton like this:

HILTON, a parish in Stokesley district, N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Leven, near the boundary with Durham, 3½ miles ESE of Yarm r. station. Post town, Yarm. Acres, 1, 340. Real property, £1, 525. Pop., 127. Houses, 29. The property belonged, in the time of Henry III., to the family of Hilton; and belongs now to the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £50. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is good, and has a tower.

Hilton through time

Hilton is now part of Stockton on Tees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stockton on Tees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hilton, in Stockton on Tees and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12908

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hilton ".