Place:


Lilford  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lilford like this:

LILFORD, a parish in Oundle district, Northampton; on the river Nen, near the Northampton and Peterborough railway, 3 miles S by W of Oundle. It contains the hamlet of Wigsthorpe; and its Post town is Oundle..Acres, 1,940. Real property, 2,503. Pop., 179. Houses, 29. The manor, with Lilford Hall, belongs to Lord Lilford, and gives him his title of Baron. The Hall was built in 1635, and stands in a beautifully diversified park. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Thorpe-Achurch, in the diocese of Peterborough.

Lilford through time

Lilford is now part of East Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lilford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lilford in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8056

Date accessed: 16th August 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lilford ".