In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton like this:
NEWTON-NEAR-SUDBURY, a parish in Sudbury district, Suffolk; 3¼ miles E of Sudbury r. station. Post-town, Sudbury. Acres, 2, 197. Real property, £3, 561. Pop., 529. Houses, 102. The manor of Newton Hallbelongs to Earl Howe; and the manor of Botelers, to the Rev. T. H. Causton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £597.* Patron, St. Peter's College Cambridge. The church is ancient; retains a Norman arch, which was formerly a doorway; and comprises nave and chancel, with S porch and a tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Babergh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newton".