In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishops Frome like this:
BISHOPS-FROME, a township and a subdistrict in Bromyard district, and a parish in Bromyard and Ledbury districts, Hereford. The township lies on the river Frome, 4 miles S of Bromyard, and 5½ N of Ashperton r. station; and has a post office under Worcester. Real property, £2,329. The parish includes also the townships of Hailmonds-Frome, Leadon, Walton, StanfordRegis, and Eggleton. Acres, 4,550. Real property, £11,367. Pop., 1,014. Houses, 215. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £608.* Patron, the Rev. J Hopton. The church was built in 1862; is in the Nor man style; and consists of nave, chancel, north aisle, and vestry, with a tower.-The subdistrict contains seven parishes and the greater part of another. Acres, 22,305. Pop., 4,439. Houses, 941.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bishops Frome has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bishops Frome and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishops Frome in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bishops Frome".