Place:


Markfield  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Markfield like this:

MARKFIELD, a village and a parish in MarketBosworth district, Leicestershire. The village stands 3 miles SE of Bardon Hill r. station, and 7½ NW of Leicester; and has a post office† under Leicester. The parish comprises 2,534 acres. Real property, £5,656; of which £432 are in quarries. ...


Pop. in 1851,1,261; in 1861, 1,391. Houses, 310. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Stamford. Granite is quarried, and stocking-making is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £500.* Patron, the Marquis of Hastings. The church is old, with tower and spire; and was rebuilt and enlarged in 1865. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school built in 1862, and charities £10.

Markfield through time

Markfield is now part of Hinckley and Bosworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hinckley and Bosworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Markfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Markfield, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11147

Date accessed: 18th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Markfield ".