In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pucklechurch like this:
PUCKLECHURCH, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Gloucester. The village stands 2 miles N E of Mangotsfield r. station, and 4 S S W of Chipping-Sodbury; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Bristol. The parish contains also the hamlet of Short-wood, and is in Chipping-Sodbury district. Acres, 2, 428. Real property, £7, 343; of which £980 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 931; in 1861, 1, 265. Houses, 231. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Radnor. ...
Shortwood lodge is the seat of H. Cosham, Esq. There are several coal pits. Edward the Elder was killed here by the robber Leolfa. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacies of Abson, Wick, and Westerleigh, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £765.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is early English; was recently restored; and has a tower, and three monuments. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, an endowed school with £53 a year, and charities £12. The hundred contains also four other parishes. Acres, 12, 879. Pop., 5, 121. Houses, 1,041.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pucklechurch has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Gloucestershire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pucklechurch and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pucklechurch in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pucklechurch".