Place:


Dryham  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dryham like this:

DIRHAM AND HINTON, or Dyrham, a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; on an affluent of the river Avon, among the Cotswolds, contiguous to Wilts, 4½ miles S by E of Chipping-Sodbury, and 6 E of Mangotsfield r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Dyrham, under Chippenham. ...


Acres, 3, 005. Real property, £5, 462. Pop., 457. Houses, 95. The property is divided among a few. Dirham Park is the seat of G. W. Blathwayt, Esq.; and contains a fine collection of paintings. A camp on Hinton-hill is thought by some to have been a Roman outpost of Bath; by others to have been formed in connexion with a battle between the Britons and the Saxons in 599. The parish is a meet for the Beaufort hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £501.* Patron, G. W. Blathwayt, Esq. The church is early English, with a square tower; and has two brasses. There is an endowed school.

Dryham through time

Dryham is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dryham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dryham in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10624

Date accessed: 19th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dryham ".