Place:


Houghton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Houghton like this:

HOUGHTON AND CLOSEHOUSE, a township in Heddon-on-the-Wall parish, Northumberland; near the Roman wall, 8½ miles W by N of Newcastle-on-Tyne. Acres, 597. Pop., 147. Houses, 38. An old tower is here, 100 feet by 44. Closehouse belonged to the Ratcliffes, and passed to the Bewicks.

Houghton through time

Houghton is now part of Castle Morpeth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Castle Morpeth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Houghton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Houghton, in Castle Morpeth and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9317

Date accessed: 21st November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Houghton ".