Place:


Rudchester  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rudchester like this:

RUDCHESTER, or Rouchester, a township in Ovingham parish, Northumberland; on the Roman wall, 8½ miles W N W of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres, 644. Pop., 58. Houses, 11. The Roman station Vindobala was here; is still slightly traceable; and has furnished fouraltars, a Hercules, bricks, coins, and other relics. Amediæval stronghold also was here, and became the nucleus of a modern farm-house.

Rudchester through time

Rudchester is now part of Castle Morpeth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Castle Morpeth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rudchester itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rudchester, in Castle Morpeth and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9645

Date accessed: 17th October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rudchester ".