Place:


Leigh  Lancashire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Leigh like this:

Leigh.-- market town and par. (ry. stations West Leigh, and Leigh and Bedford), SW. Lancashire, 21 miles NE. of Liverpool, 16 miles NW. of Manchester, and 193 miles NW. of London by rail - par., 13,792 ac., pop. 46,959; town, pop. 21,734; 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. The town is situated on the Wigan and Leigh branch of the Leeds and Liverpool and Bridgwater Canals, and has an extensive trade in its mfrs. of cotton and silk; the minor industries being glass-working, ironfounding, malting, and brewing. Coal mines are in the vicinity.

Leigh through time

Leigh is now part of Wigan district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wigan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leigh, in Wigan and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/639

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leigh ".