Place:


Lowton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lowton like this:

LOWTON, a village and a parish in Leigh district, Lancashire. The village stands 1 mile E by N of Golborne r. station, and 3¾ SW by W of Leigh; and has a post office under Newton-le-Willows. The parish includes the chapelry of Lowton-St. Mary, and comprises 1,824 acres. Real property, £6,148. ...


Pop. in 1851,2,140; in 1861,2,384. Houses, 492. The property is much subdivided. Lowton Hall and Byrom Hall are ancient mansions, now used as farm-houses. There is a cotton mill. The head-living is a rectory, and that of St. Mary is a vicarage, in the diocese of Chester. Value of the rectory, £250; * of the vicarage, £127. * Patron of the former, the Earl of Derby; of the latter, Miss M. Leigh. The parish church is an old building of brick and stone. St. Mary's church was erected in 1861; is a stone structure, in the early English style; and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and belfry. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school, and charities £50.

Lowton through time

Lowton is now part of Wigan district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wigan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lowton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lowton, in Wigan and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10650

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lowton ".