Place:


Bishops Tawton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishops Tawton like this:

BISHOPS-TAWTON, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Barnstaple, Devon. The village stands on the river Taw, near the North Devon railway, 2 miles S by E of Barnstaple; and has a post office under Barnstaple. It was the seat of the see of Devonshire, from the division of the see of Sherborne in 905 till the removal of the bishops to Crediton; and it possesses some remains of the episcopal palace. ...


The parish includes Newport, the suburb of Barnstaple. Acres, 4,263. Real property, £9,742. Pop., 1,857. Houses, 380. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Bishops of Devonshire; but was conveyed, in 1550, to the Russell family; and belongs now to the Duke of Bedford. The waving is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £440.* Patron, the Dean of Exeter. The church is an ancient edifice of nave, aisle, and chancel, with low square tower; was partially restored in 1849; and contains monuments of the Bouchiers, Earls of Bath. The p. curacy of Newport is a separate benefice.-The subdistrict contains eight parishes. Acres, 26,709. Pop., 6,307. Houses, 1,305.

Bishops Tawton through time

Bishops Tawton is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishops Tawton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishops Tawton in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6146

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bishops Tawton ".