Place:


Tawstock  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tawstock like this:

TAWSTOCK, a parish, with T. village and nine hamlets, in Barnstaple district, Devon; on the river Taw, 2 miles S by E of Barnstaple r. station. It has a post-office under Barnstaple. Acres, 6,582. Real property, £7,958. Pop. in 1851, 1,383; in 1861, 1,257. Houses, 264. The manor belonged to the Tracys; passed to the Audleighs, the Fitzwarrens, the Bourchiers, and the Wreys; and, with T. ...


house , belongs now to Sir B. Wrey, Bart. Old T. house was garrisoned in 1646 by Fairfax, and is now represented by only an ancient gate-Way. New T. house was burnt down and rebuilt in 1787. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £783.* Patron, Sir B. Wrey, Bart. The church is old and cruciform, with a central tower. A chapel of ease is at Harracott. There are chapels for Baptists and Bible Christians, and charities £100.

Tawstock through time

Tawstock is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tawstock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tawstock in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3311

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tawstock ".