Place:


Happisburgh  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Happisburgh like this:

HAPPISBURGH, or HASBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Tunstead district, Norfolk. The village lies scattered on the summit and declivities of the seabank, 7 miles E of North Walsham r. station, and 18½ NNE of Norwich; and has a post office, of the name of Happisburgh, under Norwich. The parish comprises 1, 953 acres of land, and 210 of water. ...


Real property, £4, 792. Pop., 584. Houses, 144. The property is divided among a number. The manor belongs to the Sielys. Cliffs are on the coast, and have so unstable a character as to menace the safety of the church. An ancient Danish fort was here. Some of the inhabitants are employed in fishing. The living*is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with S porch, and a tower 112 feet high; and was recently restored, at a cost of about £1, 500. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £44. Parr was vicar.

Happisburgh through time

Happisburgh is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Happisburgh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Happisburgh in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5746

Date accessed: 20th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Happisburgh ".