In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Ruston like this:
RUSTON (East), a parish, with a scattered village, in Tunstead district, Norfolk; 5½ miles E by S of North Walsham r. station. Post-town, Stalham, under Norwich. Acres, 2, 494. Real property, £5,041. Pop., 757. Houses, 171. There is a commonage of 300 acresfor pasture and fuel. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Redlington, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is ancient. There is a national school. Porson, thecelebrated Greek scholar, was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Ruston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Norfolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Ruston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Ruston in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th February 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Ruston".