Place:


Stevenage  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stevenage like this:

STEVENAGE, a small town and a parish in Hitchin district, Herts. The town stands on the Great Northern railway, 4 miles SE by S of Hitchin; was known, at Domesday, as Stevenach; is a seat of petty sessions, and a polling place; consists chiefly of one street, about ¾ of a mile long; and has a head post-office,‡ a r. ...


station, a police station, a public reading room and library, an ancient parish church, another church built in 1862, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed grammar-school with £40 a year, a national school, three houses of the guild of literature and art built in 1865, alms houses with £31 a year, other charities £47, a straw-plait market on every Saturday, and a fair on 22 Sept. The parish comprises 4,434 acres. Real property, £10,522; of which £20 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,118; in 1861, 2,352. Houses, 512. The manor was given, by the Confessor, to Westminster abbey; and, by Edward VI., to the Bishops of London. Six barrows, supposed to be Danish, are ½ a mile S of the town. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £1,007.* Patron, W. R. Baker, Esq.

Stevenage through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Stevenage has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Stevenage go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stevenage in Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/503

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stevenage ".