Place:


Wisbech  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Wisbech like this:

Wisbech.-- (or Wisbeach), mun. bor., par. (Wisbech St Peter), market town, and port, Isle of Ely, Cambridgeshire, on river Nen, 22 miles NE. of Peterborough, 6432 ac., pop. 9249; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-days, Thursday and Saturday. The river, which is crossed by an iron bridge, and is joined to the Ouse by the Wisbech Canal, has been greatly improved for navigation, and admits of vessels of between 400 and 500 tons discharging their cargoes near the town. ...


The chief trade is in the export of agricultural produce, and the import of timber, coal, &c. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The ancient parish church has a double nave and a fine detached tower. A monument has been erected to Thomas Clarkson (1760-1846), the slavery abolitionist, who was a native. Wisbech acquired a castle in 1071 from William the Conqueror. Between the years 1236 and 1614 Wisbech was four times inundated by the sea. It was made a mun. bor. in the time of Edward VI.

Wisbech through time

Wisbech is now part of Fenland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fenland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wisbech itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wisbech, in Fenland and Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/431

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wisbech ".