Place:


Morpeth  Northumberland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Morpeth like this:

Morpeth.-- parl. and mun. bor., market town, par., and township, Northumberland, 10½ miles N. by W. of Newcastle and 288 miles from London by rail - par., 11,741 ac., pop. 6946; township, 547ac., pop. 5068; parl. bor., 17,085 ac., pop. 33,459; mun. bor., 231 ac., pop. 4556; town, 5685 ac., pop. ...


6115; 4 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Wednesday. The situation of Morpeth, in a beautiful valley of the Wansbeck, is very fine, as well as remarkably healthy. Prior to the Norman Conquest the place was of some importance. Of the old castle only the gateway remains. An abbey stood at Newminster, a little to the W. None of the industries of the town are important, but they comprise tanning, malting, brewing, ironfounding, and woollen mfrs. Large collieries are in close proximity to the town. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament; it returned 2 members prior to 1832.

Morpeth through time

Morpeth is now part of Castle Morpeth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Castle Morpeth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morpeth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morpeth, in Castle Morpeth and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/311

Date accessed: 11th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morpeth ".