Place:


Meldon  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Meldon like this:

MELDON, a parish in Morpeth district, Northumberland; on the Wansbeck river and the Wansbeck Valley railway, 6 miles W by S of Morpeth. It has a station on the railway; and its Post town is Morpeth. Acres, 993. Real property, £.2,548. Pop., 144. Houses, 27. The manor, with Meldon Park, belongs to John Cookson, Esq. ...


Meldon Tower existed in the time of Henry VI.; was the seat of the Fenwicks; is associated, in curious local tradition, with Meg o' Meldon, mother of Sir W. Fenwick in the 17th century; and has completely disappeared. Meldon Water-mill is said to have been a momentary resting-point of Oliver Cromwell in 1651. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £288.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham.,he church was restored by Dr. Raine, the antiquary,.w ho was rector.

Meldon through time

Meldon is now part of Castle Morpeth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Castle Morpeth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Meldon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Meldon, in Castle Morpeth and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9480

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Meldon ".