Place:


Burgh St Margaret  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burgh St Margaret like this:

BURGH-ST. MARGARET AND ST. MARY, a parish in Flegg district, Norfolk; near the river Bure, 4¼ miles NE of Acle, and 7½ NW of Yarmouth r. station. It has a post office of the name of Burgh, under Norwich; and had formerly a market. Acres, 1,655. Real property, £4,110. Pop., 554. Houses, 125. The property is much divided. The living is a double rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £424. Patron, the Rev. W. Lucas. The church of St. Margaret is good; and that of St. Mary is in ruins. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school, and charities £79.

Burgh St Margaret through time

Burgh St Margaret is now part of Great Yarmouth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Great Yarmouth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burgh St Margaret itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burgh St Margaret, in Great Yarmouth and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2994

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burgh St Margaret ".