In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashby like this:
ASHBY, a parish in Flegg district, Norfolk; near the river Bure, 8 miles NE of Brundall r. station, and 12 ENE of Norwich. Post Town, Ludham under Norwich. Acres, with Oby and Thirne, 1,408. Real property, with Oby, £3,085. Pop. of Ashby, 16. Houses, 3. Ashby, Oby, and Thirne are three rectories forming one benefice in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £690.* Patron, the Bishop of Norwich.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ashby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Great Yarmouth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ashby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashby, in Great Yarmouth and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ashby".