Place:


Sudbury  Suffolk

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Sudbury like this:

Sudbury.-- mun. bor. and market town with ry. sta., partly in Essex but chiefly in Suffolk, on river Stour, 16 miles S. of Bury St Edmunds and 21 miles W. of Ipswich, 1459 ac., pop. 6584; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Thursday. Sudbury (a corruption of Southborough) was formerly one of the most considerable places in the eastern counties. ...


After the Conquest it became the seat of several religious establishments; and it was one of the towns selected by Edward III. for the settlement of the Flemings, with a view to the introduction of the woollen cloth mfr. Mfrs. of silk, velvet, and cocoa-nut matting, and extensive lime and brick works, give employment to the inhabitants. The river has been rendered navigable for barges up to the town, and there is a considerable trade in coal and agricultural produce. Gainsborough (1727-1788), the painter, was a native. Sudbury was made a mun. bor. by Queen Elizabeth; it was formerly a parl. bor., but was disfranchised in 1843.

Sudbury through time

Sudbury is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sudbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sudbury, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26

Date accessed: 24th September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sudbury ".