Place:


Spittal  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Spittal like this:

SPITTAL, or S.-in-the-Street, a hamlet in Glentham, Hemswell, and Bishop-Norton parishes, Lincoln; on Ermine-street, 6 miles SSE of Kirton-in-Lindsey. It had anciently a chapel or hospital, founded before 1330; and has now a cattle-fair on 25 Nov., and an inn.

Additional information about this locality is available for Hemswell

Spittal through time

Spittal is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Spittal itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Spittal, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24620

Date accessed: 24th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Spittal ".