Place:


Hemswell  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hemswell like this:

HEMSWELL, a village and a parish in Gainsborough district, Lincoln. The village stands in a valley among the Wolds, 5¼ miles SSE of Northorpe r. station, and 7 h E of Gainsborough; and has a post office under KirtonLindsey. The parish contains also the hamlet of Spittal-in-the-Street, and is traversed by Ermine street. ...


Acres, 2, 890. Real property, £4, 036. Pop., 465. Houses, 91. The manor belongs to the Right Hon. Charles T. D, Eyncourt. An hospital for poor widows, with a small chapel, is at Spittal; was founded in the time of Edward II.; and is under the protection of the dean and chapter of Lincoln. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £63.* Patron, the Rev. James Adcock. The church is good, and has a tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a few small charities.

Hemswell through time

Hemswell is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hemswell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hemswell, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12553

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hemswell ".