Place:


Nuneaton  Warwickshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Nuneaton like this:

Nuneaton, market town and par. with ry. sta., Warwickshire, on Coventry Canal, 9 miles N. of Coventry, 19½ miles SW. of Leicester, and 97 miles NW. of London, 6112 ac., pop. 8465; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. Nuneaton is said to have derived its name from a nunnery founded about the middle of the 12th century, portions of which still remain. ...


Ribbons were formerly a staple mfr. here, but the trade has declined, and a large industry now exists in the preparation of woven worsted goods. There are also factories for cotton, elastic, &C., while wool and skin dressing, iron working, edge-tool making, and malting are active industries; and brick fields, coal mines, and ironstone mines are in the neighbourhood. Nuneaton has an endowed grammar school founded in the time of Edward VI., and an endowed free school founded in 1712.

Nuneaton through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Nuneaton and Bedworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Nuneaton go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nuneaton, in Nuneaton and Bedworth and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/223

Date accessed: 20th September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nuneaton ".