Place:


Aldermaston  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aldermaston like this:

ALDERMASTON, or Admiston, a village and a parish in Bradfield district, Berks. The village stands at the influx of the Emborne to the Kennet, 8 miles E of Newbury; and it has a station, 1½ mile distant, on the Great Western railway and a post office under Reading. It was formerly a market town; and it still has fairs on 6 May, 7 July, and 11 Oct. ...


The Earl of Essex occupied it in 1644. The parish comprises 3,669 acres. Real pro perty, £4,718. Pop., 585. Houses, 129. The property is not much divided. Much of the surface is heathy. The park of Aldermaston Court includes 1,000 acres; and is one of the wildest and most diversified in the south of England. The mansion on it is a Tudor edifice, built in 1851; and contains many interesting relics of a remarkable structure which preceded it, the seat of the Forsters and the Congreves; and the old lodges, with spired tower and roof, are still standing. An ancient camp occurs near Aldermaston Soak. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value and patron, not reported. The church is an ancient edifice, with fine Norman doorway and interesting monuments.

Aldermaston through time

Aldermaston is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aldermaston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aldermaston in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1405

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aldermaston ".