Place:


Padworth  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Padworth like this:

PADWORTH, a parish, with a village, in Brad field district, Berks; on the river Kennet, 1½ mile S E of Aldermaston r. station, and 9 S W by W of Reading. Post-town, Aldermaston, under Reading. Acres, 1, 175. Real property, £1, 839. Pop., 298. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged anciently to the Courdrays; passed to the Fosters; and, with Padworth House, belongs now toD. Griffith, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford-Value, £250.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is rich early Norman, and has a fine Norman arch; but has been spoiled by whitewash. Charities, £17.

Padworth through time

Padworth is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Padworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Padworth in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5683

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Padworth ".