In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Osmington like this:
OSMINGTON, a village and a parish in Weymouth district, Dorset. The village stands in a wooded valley among lofty hills, ¾ of a mile N of the coast, and 4 N E of Weymouth r. station; dates from ancient times, and was named after St. Osmund; is now a small but pretty place; and has a post-office under Weymouth. ...
The parish contains also the hamlets of Osmington-Mills, Ringstead, and Upton; and comprises 2, 182 acres ofland, and 125 of water. Real property, £2, 513. Pop.in 1851, 485; in 1861, 448. Houses, 93. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to King Athelstane, and was given by him to Milton abbey. O. House is the seat of Major Wood. A peculiar kind of excellent building-stone is extensively worked. A figure of George III. on horseback is cut on the steep slope of a chalkhill; occupies nearly an acre; and serves as a landmark to ships at sea. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £252.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1846; retains the tower of the previous church; and contains a very ancient monument of the Warhams. There are a parochial school, and charities £10.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Osmington in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Osmington ".