In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Poxwell like this:
POXWELL, or Pokeswell, a parish in Weymouth district, Dorset; near the coast, 4 miles S W of Moreton r. station, and 5¼ N E of Weymouth. Post-town, Osmington, under Weymouth. Acres, 887. Real property, £1, 665. Pop., 82. Houses, 14. The manor belongs to J. T. Trenchard, Esq. Remains exist of a Druidical double hut-circle, the inner ring about 12 feetin diameter. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Warmwell, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is curious and good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Poxwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Poxwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Poxwell in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th February 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Poxwell".