In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Bredy like this:
BREDY (Long), a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; on the downs, near the source of the Bredy stream, 4¾ miles SW of Grimstone and Frampton r. station, and 8 W of Dorchester. It includes the hamlet of Upper Kingston; and its Post Town is Little Bredy under Dorchester. Acres, 2,117. Real property, £3,067. Pop., 250. Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Little Bredy, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £625.* Patron, R. Williams, Esq. The church is good. Charities, £8.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Long Bredy has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Long Bredy and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Bredy in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Long Bredy".