Place:


Shoeburyness  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shoeburyness like this:

SHOEBURY-FORT, a place in South Shoebury parish, Essex; on Shoebury-Ness, 3¼ miles N by W of the Nore light, and 3½ ESE of Southend r. station. It has barracks for a detachment of royal artillery, a station for artillery practice, and a post-office‡ under Southend. The name Shoebury occurred in the Saxon times, and was then written Schoebirig.

Shoeburyness through time

Shoeburyness is now part of Southend on Sea district. Click here for graphs and data of how Southend on Sea has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shoeburyness itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shoeburyness, in Southend on Sea and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/130

Date accessed: 17th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shoeburyness ".