Place:


Penarth  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penarth like this:

PENARTH, a sea-port and a parish in Cardiff district, Glamorgan. The sea-port adjoins Penarth-head, 3 miles S of Cardiff; is practically a suburb and a sub-port of Cardiff; communicates, by branch railway, with the railways at Cardiff; and has a post-office‡ under Cardiff, and a large dock. ...


The dock was begun in 1851, and completed in 1865; is 2, 100 feet long, and 370 feet wide; covers an area of 17½ acres; has a basin of 3 acres, a lock of 400 feet by 300, and a sea-entrance 60 feet wide, with a depth of 35 feet over the sill at spring tides; and admits larger vessels than any other dock in the Bristolchannel. The parish comprises 1, 142 acres of land, and 365 of water. Real property, in 1860, £4, 648; of which £23 were in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 105; in 1861, 1, 406. Houses, 192. The living is a rectory, united with therectory of Lavernock, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £187. Patron, the Baroness Windsor. The church was rebuilt in 1866, at a cost of about £10,000; and is in the early English style and cruciform, with a tower. Achantry of Llandongh priory was here.

Penarth through time

Penarth is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Penarth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penarth in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1127

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Penarth ".