Place:


Caerau  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Caerau like this:

CAIRA, Cairau, or Caerau, a parish in Cardiff district, Glamorgan; on the Julian way and the South Wales railway, near St. Fagans station, 3½ miles W of Cardiff. Post Town, St. Fagans, under Cardiff. Acres, 746. Real property, £901. Pop., 131. Houses, 26. The property is divided among a few. An ancient camp of about 12 acres is here, and seems to have been British, though often regarded as Roman. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £60. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church stands within the camp, and is good.

Caerau through time

Caerau is now part of Cardiff district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cardiff has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Caerau itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caerau, in Cardiff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2163

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Caerau ".