Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ALDERMASTON, or Admiston

ALDERMASTON, or Admiston, a village and a parish in Bradfield district, Berks. The village stands at the influx of the Emborne to the Kennet, 8 miles E of Newbury; and it has a station, 1½ mile distant, on the Great Western railway and a post office under Reading. It was formerly a market town; and it still has fairs on 6 May, 7 July, and 11 Oct. The Earl of Essex occupied it in 1644. The parish comprises 3,669 acres. Real pro perty, £4,718. Pop., 585. Houses, 129. The property is not much divided. Much of the surface is heathy. The park of Aldermaston Court includes 1,000 acres; and is one of the wildest and most diversified in the south of England. The mansion on it is a Tudor edifice, built in 1851; and contains many interesting relics of a remarkable structure which preceded it, the seat of the Forsters and the Congreves; and the old lodges, with spired tower and roof, are still standing. An ancient camp occurs near Aldermaston Soak. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value and patron, not reported. The church is an ancient edifice, with fine Norman doorway and interesting monuments.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Aldermaston CP/AP       Bradfield PLU/RegD       Berkshire AncC
Place names: ADMISTON     |     ALDERMASTON     |     ALDERMASTON OR ADMISTON
Place: Aldermaston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.