SUTTON, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district, in Prestbury parish, Macclesfield district, Cheshire. The township is partly in Macclesfield borough; extends 4 miles SSE of M. town; and contains a suburb of that town, and the village of Langley. Acres, 4,460. Real property, £21,374; of which £399 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 7,525; in 1861, 6,756. Houses, 1,623. The decrease of pop. was caused by depression in the silk trade. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Queen. There are many handsome villa residences. The township shares in the manufactures of Macclesfield.-The chapelries are St. George and St. James; and were constituted, the former in 1835, the latter in 1860. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300 and £140. Patrons, Trustees. St. George's church is in Macclesfie1d, and was originally a dissenting chapel. St. James' church is near Lane-Ends, was built in 1840, and is in the early English style. There are two dissenting chapels, and two national schools.The sub-district includes two other townships, and comprises 11,420 acres. Pop., 7,392. Houses, 1,758.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Macclesfield RegD/PLU Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.