Place:


Sutton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton like this:

SUTTON, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district, in Prestbury parish, Macclesfield district, Cheshire. The township is partly in Macclesfield borough; extends 4 miles SSE of M. town; and contains a suburb of that town, and the village of Langley. Acres, 4,460. Real property, £21,374; of which £399 are in quarries. ...


Pop. in 1851, 7,525; in 1861, 6,756. Houses, 1,623. The decrease of pop. was caused by depression in the silk trade. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Queen. There are many handsome villa residences. The township shares in the manufactures of Macclesfield.-The chapelries are St. George and St. James; and were constituted, the former in 1835, the latter in 1860. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300 and £140. Patrons, Trustees. St. George's church is in Macclesfie1d, and was originally a dissenting chapel. St. James' church is near Lane-Ends, was built in 1840, and is in the early English style. There are two dissenting chapels, and two national schools.—The sub-district includes two other townships, and comprises 11,420 acres. Pop., 7,392. Houses, 1,758.

Sutton through time

Sutton is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5054

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton ".