WERNETH, a township-chapelry in Stockport parish, Cheshire; on the Manchester and Royton railway, and on the Peak Forest canal, 4 miles ENE of Stockport. It has a r. station with telegraph; and it contains the village of Compstall, with a post-office under Stockport, the village of Gee-Cross, with a post-office under Manchester, and the village of Apethorne. Acres, 1,560. Real property, £12,893; of which £13 are in quarries, and £30 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 3,635; in 1861, 3,464. Houses, 739. The decrease of pop. arose from reduction of the number of hands in cotton-mills. Green Hill, Ernocroft House, Bank House, and Apethorne House are chief residences. Cotton manufacture, calico-printing, and hat-making are largely carried on. W. Low is an eminence commanding very fine views. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150.* Patrons, Five Trustees. The church is in Compstall, and was built in 1841. A chapel of ease, a Church school, and a Unitarian chapel are at Gee-Cross; and a New Connexion Methodist chapel, an athenæum, and a national school are at Compstall.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township-chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Compstall CP/Tn Stockport CP/AP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.