Place:


Compstall  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compstall like this:

WERNETH, a township-chapelry in Stockport parish, Cheshire; on the Manchester and Royton railway, and on the Peak Forest canal, 4 miles ENE of Stockport. It has a r. station with telegraph; and it contains the village of Compstall, with a post-office under Stockport, the village of Gee-Cross, with a post-office under Manchester, and the village of Apethorne. ...


Acres, 1,560. Real property, £12,893; of which £13 are in quarries, and £30 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 3,635; in 1861, 3,464. Houses, 739. The decrease of pop. arose from reduction of the number of hands in cotton-mills. Green Hill, Ernocroft House, Bank House, and Apethorne House are chief residences. Cotton manufacture, calico-printing, and hat-making are largely carried on. W. Low is an eminence commanding very fine views. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150.* Patrons, Five Trustees. The church is in Compstall, and was built in 1841. A chapel of ease, a Church school, and a Unitarian chapel are at Gee-Cross; and a New Connexion Methodist chapel, an athenæum, and a national school are at Compstall.

Compstall through time

Compstall is now part of Stockport district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stockport has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Compstall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Compstall, in Stockport and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/415

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Compstall ".